Sunday 1 July 2012

Book Nerd

So yes, since I've been home pretty much all I've been doing is reading. I love it! And I've had lots of time to catch up. So here are just a few simple reviews of books I've read in the last week or so, completely subjective of course, I just felt like sharing it with the world. Who knows why, but ahh wells.


ONE DAY – David Nicholls
Loved it. Wasn’t one of my favourite books of all time but it was a really easy read, one that I enjoyed reading. I didn’t find it as emotional as I thought I would because I was too busy trying to find out what happened on the original day, missing what I love quite so much about books, the amount it moves me, to happiness, to tears, to absolute fear, etc etc.  I love the way books transform you to another world where you have no idea what’s going to happen and it takes you on a worldwind. I love that. And this book, although very enjoyable did not do that to the extent I wanted. And although they were clearly meant to be, Dex annoyed me terribly. He was a complete douche. Not cool. I loved Emma though. And it made me happy that she was happy. So I guess even if she ended up with Ian it would’ve satisfied me, although that would not make a very good book. Overall =  7/10. Good but not amazing. 

EXCHANGE. – Paul Magrs
Yeah this book was interesting; it was mainly for teenagers so the plotline was a bit thin. A nice read though, or at least an easy read. It didn’t take much concentration or energy to read through its pages very quickly. I like the fact the characters all just loved books, I felt like I could really connect with the characters in the themes that came through. Apart from that though, it wasn’t a book I would consider reading again. It wouldn’t make that much of a difference if I never read it in the first place. Overall=3/10.. maybe? 

PLAY DEAD. - Harlan Coben
Ahh this book was insane! It put me in an awful mood though, and I was feeling the same desperation as the main character, this meant I read it in a few goes, as such books are hard to do in one go, unless they’re at least a 9.5. The plot line was good, the fact he used the opening chapter as a way of implying it was a female, I guessed again and again and never got it right. Which is weird  cause normally I own at guessing the plotlines. It was one of the best books I’ve read in ages, although because the book was written when the guy was very young I doubt it would be seen as that technically well written, but nevertheless, it was a fantastic read. Recommend it for sures! 8.5/10 at least.

SKIN DEEP – Laura Jarratt.
This is your typical teenage love story. Or at least, the main part of it is a love story, obviously most love stories don’t start with a girl with her face burnt from a fire where her best friend dies.. but the general story is quite easy to guess. Until around half way through where something happens which I never expected, which gives major kudos to the writer. I love these sorts of stories, just because I have such a romantic nature that anything like this makes me a little happy inside. Although it is probably a little too young for me now, I still enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. 6.5/10

WUTHERING HEIGHTS – Emily Bronte.
Not gonna lie, was a little annoyed with this book. I thought it was meant to be an epic classic?! I can’t say much about it without giving the whole plotline away but I was so annoyed at it all. I did really enjoy the way in which it was written, it was in such a way that impressed me and I can understand that Emily Bronte was a good writer. But the book in itself gave little to none satisfaction. A good read for the first time but I doubt I would ever pick it up again. 6/10

THE GREAT LOVER – Jill Dawson.
Ahh I quite enjoyed this one! I read it in like.. a day. (Although I do read insanely fast but still!) For a while the plotline had me guessing, which I appreciate ‘cause it keeps me absorbed, but after a while I was just getting annoyed that the couple didn’t realise what was going on. The main character in whom is ‘the great lover’ was actually a complete douche, and I only liked him because I liked the female who loved him so much. It’s one of those books where I found myself wanting whatever the main character wanted, and I did enjoy it, even if the ending is not what one would have wanted.  I think the book in itself was written really well and the plotline was very good, It’s just not great, I guess. I don’t know, I enjoyed reading it but it didn’t give me that innate pleasure I get from reading a really great book for the first time, like I did noughts and crosses. 7/10


CATCHING FIRE – Suzanne Collins.
AHHH THIS BOOK IS INSANE. I’ve read it before but I was having cravings so I just gave in! You have no idea how good this trilogy is. I think the first is my favourite of the series because it is the most original, but the second did not disappoint in any ways. I was in suspense the whole way through, despite knowing what was going to happen. It is written really well, and is just. AHH AMAZING! I wish I was good enough at English literature to go into more detail and actually describe why I love it so much, but I guess I can’t. Basics. It’s insane. 9/10

Mockingjay- Suzanne Collins.
YES, this is the same hunger games series. So obviously it is a good book. This is definitely my least favourite of the three, mainly because there isn’t much of Peeta in it, and he is most definitely my favourite character, am slightly in love with him. He is just so loving, and that just makes me all happy inside. The book is once more in total suspense, especially the ending- I did not know what was going on! A great conclusion to a brilliant trilogy. 8/10

THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS- C.S Lewis.
I love C.S Lewis. Anyone who knows me will most likely have figured this out by now. He is amazing. I love the way he writes, I love his way of thinking. This book, although not sure whether he wrote it or what, I was a little confused by all that, was an eye-opener. It was talking about things that we do which hold us back from God and really made me think about how I can be more holy. And I LOVE the fact that it is a general reminder about how JESUS has the victory, ‘cause he does. ‘cause he’s awesome. YUP. 8/10

THE TENTH CIRCLE – Jodi Picoult.
Well, if you’ve ever read anything by Jodi you know it’s intense. It’s a rollercoaster ride that keeps on going left when you think it’s gonna go right. I had no idea what was going on half the time. It reminded me a lot of a book called ‘lost innocence’ which has to be the best book I’ve ever read, which I enjoyed, and it was so well written. I also loved the little comic strips the whole way through. Such a good read. 8/10

MERE CHRISTIANITY- C.S Lewis.
He is a genius. And has so much wisdom about the big man. I don’t think I could say much more. He did kinda disagree about marrying someone you simply fall in love with though, which made me a little sad, his point was valid because it’s more than a feeling and whatnot, but I still have these naive belief about falling in love and having a fairy tale ending, so that was a bit of a downer. But yes. READ IT! 9/10


So yeah.. I'm sure I'll do some more random blogs like this, but for now, enjoy! And seriously, if you haven't read the hunger games yet- DO IT. 









No comments:

Post a Comment