Thursday 25 July 2013

Chronic Illness

So, I thought I'd just give a short explanation of everything that's going on right now. The strange thing is, that people - including myself - have a great difficulty grasping the idea of being chronically mentally ill.
We don't get better in the same way other illnesses do. If you had the flu, for example, a good day would be where you could st up in bed- with depression, a good day means something like not feeling completely miserable all day long. It's very different. It's not something you can visibly see.
I keep expecting myself to be better knowledge of being able to cope. I've got my last counselling session (with uni) tomorrow and I feel like I should be feeling a lot better by now- but it just doesn't work like that. I've made one comment about myself which was actually vaguely kind and that's all I've managed. It doesn't feel like much, but it is progress.
I think my point is this- if you know someone who is struggling with a chronic mental illness- try to understand that it doesn't work in the way we expect it to, be patient alongside them, and encourage them in any progress they made - it makes the long road a lot easier to travel.
Love and Blessings.
Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment